Or cost so much.
- You never bring the information that I request. Yes I need your W-2, 1099 and every other damned form you get;
- You want me to save to save you the most money. Sometimes it takes meditation or a stroke of genius or a bottle of Jim Beam to find the deductions or planning that ordinary accountants miss;
- The price is already set and I’m a craftsman. Do you think the Pope bugged Michelangelo while he painted?
- There’s a lot at stake. Mess with the IRS? Are you insane?
- I am really @#$?&! busy. Working 16 hour days can wear a guy out.
My advice to any client, even if you are not enlightened enough to have me prepare your books and tax returns, is be prepared. If you’ve been working with your accountant for more than one season, you should know what information is needed. Ask questions in August not February. Bring cookies or booze or Rolos when you come to see me. And, realize that I’ve saved people and companies millions of dollars (seriously) in my career. Sometimes it just takes a little longer to get it right.